Pocket holsters come in handy for weapons small enough to fit in your jacket’s pocket or trousers. In this article, we will talk specifically about a pocket holster made from Kydex.
A well-designed pocket holster covers the weapon yet makes it easily accessible and easy to carry around. With various designs of pocket holsters springing up in the market, it can be difficult to decisively pinpoint which is the right one for you.
When buying a pocket holster, design, adaptability, safety, comfort, and durability are the most important features one should look for. Pocket holsters made entirely from Kydex material offer complete protection for your firearm while being extremely comfortable when worn.
That said, which is the best option?
After reviewing nearly 60 different pocket holsters, we recommend the BORAII Eagle Pocket Holster as your best bet if you are looking for a Kydex pocket holster that fits your jacket. It has an innovative design that allows the loading and unloading of the gun safely when holstered.
Get Great Guns and Ammo Deals!
The BORAII Eagle Pocket Holster seems just like your regular wallet or tablet, easily disguised inside one’s jacket.
One of the most important features of any good pocket holster is that it makes the firearm very accessible for the user. Boraii’s design allows for drawing the gun in a way that engages the pocket hook and enables the user to quick draw in one swift movement.
BORAII Eagle Kydex Pocket Holster – Features
- The holster snaps on the trigger guard fully securing it with strong retention. Even if you rack a round in the chamber the trigger guard is fully protected.
- Holds the weapon in an upright position, adding to easy access to the firearm.
- Somewhat concealable. However, it might leave some print depending on the size of the pocket. Big pockets work best.
- Easily detaches on the draw. Works best with Glock 43.
|The holster does not cover the magazine release or hinder the slide therefore, swift reload is one of the key features.||Even though the holster is a bit concealable, there have been cases where users have complained that the pocket holster along with the firearm were apparent for an outside observer.|
|The innovative design helps stop negligent discharges during load/reload.||Although the holster has a very strong click on the trigger guard, the effect seems to be a bit weak towards the top end of the trigger guard.|
|Drawing the gun is swift with BORAII Eagle Pocket Holster.||As with all pocket-carry holsters, if you decide on getting a pocket holster, bear in mind that you are losing a pocket in the process. Stuffing wallet, keys and phone becomes a hassle with one pocket entirely dedicated to a pocket holster.|
|The minimal size makes the holster very convenient to carry around concealed. Not at all heavy or awkward for a pocket carry.||The minimal material pocket carry may lighten the weight and make it more convenient for the user to carry a gun, this feature has a drawback too. Since the firearm isn’t completely covered with minimal material, it is possible that debris gets inside the gun even when inside the pocket holster.|
|Totally worth a shot given that it is relatively very inexpensive.|
|Un-holstering the firearm is quite convenient. The holster doesn’t slide off your pocket.|
|A trigger guard adds to security more than most other soft pocket carry holsters out there.|
Alternatives: 3 More Reliable Kydex Pocket Holsters
An easy-to-deploy alternative to the BORAII Eagle Pocket Holster is the Sticky Holster Kydex Sleeve. It is essentially a state-of-the-art waistband that serves the purpose of a perfect pocket holster.
The waistband compresses the holster and the gun against the body to secure the firearm, a fine display of dexterity.
Perhaps the most important feature of Sticky’s holster sleeve is that it is very easy to deploy and adjust within seconds primarily because it is void of any bulky clips or straps that normally get in the way when the user tries holstering their weapon.
What makes this holster great:
- Conveniently fits the Glock 42 and conceals easily in the G43, two of the most popular concealed carry handguns.
- Sticky Holster uses a custom compression and friction system to stick to your body or waistband for easy, quickdraws.
- Kydex Insert & Sticky Sleeve included
- Kydex Retention
- Comfortable carry, but may require large pockets
- Made in the USA
- Fits Inside Waistband Easily
The Vedder Holster Pocket Locker may be your best alternative if you do not wish to carry your firearm around your waist.
This pocket holster is best suited for pocket pistols so they fit in the front pocket. The good thing about Vedder’s pocket locker is that it is custom-made from Kydex in order to suit the requirements of your own gun model.
Therefore, it is always a perfect fit. By flipping the holster on the preferred front pocket, the pocket locker makes it easy for both right-handed and left-handed folks to draw the weapon.
Afraid that your firearm will catch dirt and debris?
Fret not, as the gun’s barrel is entirely covered plus the sweat guards reduce the pistol’s contact with the moisture from the body.
Main advantages of the pocket locker:
- 100% Trigger Guard
- Double Sided Extended Slide Guard
- Sweat Resistant
- Molded from a Single Sheet of Kydex to be secure but loose enough for an easy draw.
- Holster protects the weapon well
- Doesn’t necessarily work with all pockets
- The holster does not always stay upright
- The holster may fall off on drawing the firearm
- Custom sight channels are made specifically for your gun to ensure clearance with all front sights and loaded chamber indicators (when applicable).
Black Hawk’s inside-the-pocket holster consists of a laminated exterior coupled with a non-slip band that ensures that the holster remains in the pocket after the user draws their weapon.
The Black Hawk is also very concealable while being very user-friendly in terms of swift weapon access. The open-top positions where the gun is at an inclined angle work best with this inside-the-pocket holster.
Unrestricted draw is further bolstered by the holster’s smooth internal nylon lining which also protects the firearm from unwanted moisture and debris.
Other unique advantages of BLACKHAWK!’s pocket Kydex holster:
- Soft, suede-like laminate exterior protects skin from sharp edges
- Non-slip band
- Smooth nylon lining for swift draw
- The friction band is supposed to keep you from pulling the holster out when drawing the weapon needs more friction.
- Covers trigger for added safety
- The holster does not cover the grip which means that the gun’s grip is visible
- Open-top holster provides grip-up positioning and protects the weapon in the pocket
- Open-top design for grip-up positioning
- Protects the gun from moisture and debris
- Size 3 fits 2″ 5 shot revolvers: Ruger, Kel-Tec, Kahr, and Taurus .380 autos
- Size 4 fits most sub-compact 9mm/.40 autos such as Glock 26/27 and Kahr PM9
- Breaks up the outline in the pocket when carrying.
Kydex Pocket Holster Top Picks – Conclusion
Speaking in terms of overall performance, BORAII’s Eagle Pocket Holster wins the title of the best Kydex pocket holster.
Not only is it comprised of excellent holster features, but it is very user-friendly, all at a very low price range. Weighing all options in monetary terms and their benefits, the BORAII Eagle for Glock 43 is designed for the most popular compact and subcompact firearms out there and to deliver the most to gun users.
On the other hand, the BORAII Eagle Pocket Holster might not satisfy the preferences of all gun owners.
But if you are on a low budget and don’t want to get something very pricey (while still getting a quality holster), the BORAII Eagle is meant for you, especially if you’re the owner of a Glock 42 or 43.